[squeak-dev] I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Jan 15 19:47:25 UTC 2019

Hi John,

> On 06.01.2019, at 00:41, John-Reed Maffeo <jrmaffeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?

To be frank, I planned to upgrade that instances for 8 years or so but never managed it.
That being said, besides having a few (known!) bugs, it runs quite fine since then…
I suppose it will run quite a while still, as long as GemStone is ok with that (which they have been since the beginning :D)

Best regards
	-Tobias

> If so what are the options?

Among other things (see the kind-of git exodus), one can always host ones own SqueakSource, whether the original variant (a bit hard to come by…) or SqueakSource3 (on Squeak or GemStone or Pharo…). Also, if all else is too hard, a WebServer that supports HTTP PUT (ie, a fraction of WebDAV), that works, too!

Best regards
	-Tobias