[squeak-dev] Sockets, WebClient, HttpClient and friends

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jan 18 19:25:39 UTC 2019

> On 2019-01-18, at 1:30 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> TL;DR: It's just WebClient with differing layers of icing on top.

Hah; so it is. That's good, I guess. Evidently diving a dozen or so layers down wasn't enough to discover that. ;-)

> But, yes, it could all be a bit more clear cut.

It certainly could; but more importantly it could do much better for raising and handling errors helpfully. I note with wry amusement how the last part of HTTPSocket class>>#httpGetDocument:args:accept:request: carefully takes the helpful error info of WebClient and ensures that the less helpful HttpSocket response is generated.

And of course none of this alters the fact that a good few methods could do with changing to handle network errors, whichever flavour of WebClient icing they use!

tim
Useful random insult:- Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse.