[squeak-dev] Falsehoods programmers believe about Smalltalk

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:13:45 UTC 2019

Done.

I have some possible myths, but I'd like to confirm or reject:

- All Smalltalk bytecode sets are stack-based VM. (?)
- Bytecodes are always fixed-size. (?)
- Most of the time spent by a VM is in the instruction interpreter.
(actually it's in the GC right?)
- You cannot serialize objects containing blocks. (IIRC one can use
MessageSends)
- Image cannot be bootstrapped. (This is possible in ST/X and now in Pharo
I think).
- All Smalltalks includes UI classes. (GemStone doesn't have AFAIK).
- All implementations uses direct pointers, (GST?)
- All implementations uses green threads. (VAST? MT?)

I'm sure people in this list will have a lot more myths heard from
Conferences, Forums, Videos, Talks, etc. Like the guy who said Smalltalk
was dead. So if you did something which could be ignored publicly, please
don't hesitate to reply or ping me to get added as collaborator.

Cheers,

Hernán