[squeak-dev] Server timeouts and 504 return codes

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 00:08:02 UTC 2019

> > On 28.01.2019, at 03:56, John Pfersich via Squeak-dev <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I know that it mostly a cost and reconfiguration thing, but has there been any thought to maybe make multiple servers? With the front end doing a round robin to distribute the load? I’m saying this without knowing what kind of loads the server is experiencing, or whether there are log files that record the activity.
>

> That's what squeaksource3 on gemstone is doing, actually.
> Three FCGI-servers (gems) serving the web interface and files, if necessary.
> also, one extra gem to collect stale seaside sessions and one extra gem to do async things like update statistics and send out emails.
> (The Squeak version of that uses Squeak processes for that and is probably not as resilient…)

And yet, when I just went to:

   http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Projects

and entered "squeaksour" in the Search field to look for your
referenced packages, my web browser sat there spinning for AT LEAST 30
seconds (felt like more, but I didn't time it) before returning with
the result list.  This is one of the issues I've had with
squeaksource3 since the beginning.  The same first-search on
squeaksource.com hosted on single-threaded Squeak 3.x image running on
interpreter VM is more than an order-of-magnitude faster.

My point being, I agree that "dragster tech" can be fun, but if the
extra complexity it brings sinks the UX, it was all only just
masturbation.  The real challenge is not to use nginx, but to actually
provide a UX that is better-enough to pay for the extra cost and
complexity.

Best,
  Chris