[squeak-dev] Squot and git integration (was: Attempting to use git Browser to view https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jun 1 13:45:27 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 04:45:57PM +0200, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 5:58 AM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 04:44:02PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > > John sent me a proper fileout last week. Once I've had time to look it
> > over I'll probably stick it on squeaksource.
> > >
> > > tim
> >
> > Yes, please do that. Especially if the fileout has proper method commit
> > timestamps and author initials.
> >
> > I am quite interested in getting myself up to speed on the various
> > git integration strategies, and I am currently working with (or more
> > accurately, accepting guidance from) Alistair Grant to publish OSProcess
> > in Tonel format for Pharo users. But I am baffled by the lack of method
> > stamps in Tonel (which should be trivially simple to support) and I
> > suspect to that "proper fileoout" will need to remain as the accepted
> > interchange format for quite some time to come.
> >

> I said it before and I say it again: Tonel was flawed from the very start and
> nobody listened what Dale had to said. Instead, the Pharo community
> declared it as their new default, and here we are.

Yep.

> It's not Jakob's job to
> port Tonel to Squeak, yet he worked on it in his spare time.

I really appreciate the work that Jakob did, and he has been generous in
explaining it to people like me who do not yet understand the issues :-)

> If you don't
> like what it does to your timestamps and author initials, please complain to the
> designers of Tonel. And no, they are probably not subscribed to this
> mailinglist.

I will not waste my time complaining to the designers.

> > Interestingly, Cuis uses git exclusively for version control, but its
> > storage format is nothing more than simple change sets and fileouts that
> > follow an agreed naming convention. And there are other storage formats
> > in circulation, so I don't really have any sense of what is the "right"
> > approach. But a storage format that nukes all of the method stamps
> > certainly would not be on my short list of right ways to do it.
> >

> Fileouts cause a lot of merge conflicts in Git (even if there are none in
> the actual code). This makes it rather cumbersome to use it in Git. Maybe the
> Cuis community has fixed some of these issues?

My impression is that merging just has not been an issue for Cuis, at least
not yet. The "trunk" stream in Cuis is currently maintained by two people
who actively tend to it. Contributions generally come in the form of
change sets attached to email. It all works very well, although I don't
think that it would be a good way to support the Squeak development model.

> > It's all very confusing. I just googled "squot hpi squeak" and got a
> > "People also ask" pointer to "Why does my replacement hip squeak?"

I meant that as a joke, sorry if it did not come across that way.

> Mh, that's nothing we can control... you were probably looking for:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa/Squot

I agree. I do not yet have much experience with Squot, but of the available
git integration approaches, it seems to be the only one that could
reasonably be considered for serious work in Squeak.

Dave