[squeak-dev] Proposal: Morphs in Text

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 21:24:06 UTC 2019

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for doing this.  Maui makes heavy use of domain objects embedded as
characters in free-form text fields, but they currently look like this:

[image: old-anchor-alignment.png]

but with your change set, I can finally have the #bottom alignment I've
been wanting.

[image: new-anchor-alignment.png]

Great!

The only thing that gave me pause was that API for #verticalAlignment:.
Initially, I just saw the selector and thought about it the same as the API
for regular horizontal text alignment (e.g., #left, #center, #right,
justified), and so tried:

    self verticalAlignment: #bottom

but this informed me that this single-argument selector is actually looking
for two arguments.  That's some great flexibility that I didn't even
consider, but I wonder whether this detracts from the usability of the
common cases:

   #bottom, expected to do what #(#bottom #bottom) does,
   #center, to do what, uh, #(#middle #middle) does, and
   #top, would do what, #top #top does.

#verticalAlignment: handle the above, while #verticalAlignmentMorph: and
#verticalAlignmentLine: could be used for advanced customizations.  Even
once I figured out it wanted a two-element Array for input, I had to go
back look at the method to remind myself which is first and which is
second.  Separate attributes would be more readable.

Lastly, #middle vs. #center.  #center is what we have _everywhere_ to refer
to geometric centers, all over the image, including even for horizontal
text-alignment.  The only #middle in the whole image relates to a
Collection element access.  Could we use #center?

Regards,
  Chris