[squeak-dev] Raspberry Pi 4

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 01:13:12 UTC 2019

> On 25/06/19 7:36 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > Did anybody not see this?
> > https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
> >
> > It's made a bit of a splash today. I think it will make a pretty neat
> > Squeak machine, especially for any sort of MC server setup etc. I'm
> > anticipating about a doubling of performance over the 3B+ which would
> > make for quite nice benchmarks. Dual 4K display capability should
> > come in handy too.
>
> I must confess I am more than a little disappointed with this RPi 4.

Really?  My only disappointment is that they switched the ethernet and usb
array.  Arrggh, why?!  Please don't tell me it was just to sell more
cases...

> It
> is now promoted as "your tiny, dual display, desktop computer" (!).  If
> it is a "desktop computer" where are the SATA [1] or PCIe/M.2 [2]
> interfaces?

Same as before?

https://www.amazon.com/Geekworm-Raspberry-Storage-Expansion-Compatible/dp/B073CGQD9C

> Instead, you get to drive 2 4K monitors.

Or a VR display...

> Why would one use
> such a board for a server

Because you can still build a 160-core server with 1GB RAM per core for a
lot less than an equivalent x86 solution.

>  or embed it in a moving robot?

Because robots with HDMI outputs can be very useful.

The foundation has strayed away from its original intent to design and
> build affordable development boards to promote hands on computing
> amongst students [1]. Its main appeal was its openness (global access),
> low-cost (i.e. every student could have one or more) and low-power
> (battery powered) and wireless connectivity (wifi/BT). With RPi 4, the
> power hogs in GPU and Ethernet have become worse.

According to the Bitscope rep I asked, the Pi 4 should budget about 8-10W
per node.  To me, that seems pretty amazing for a 4-core, 4GB RAM computer.

The Wi-Fi, BT and HDMI can all be individually disabled for ultra-low power
consumption.

 - Chris