[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-pre.822.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 23:12:43 UTC 2019

> Sorry to open this up again. I have progressed well in shuffling things around. However: While moving the corresponding test cases I noticed that there is also #isBinary, #isDoIt, #isInfix, #isUnary, #isKeyword, and #isPvtSelector implemented on Symbol. Given that these all exist, I would rather keep #asSimpleSetter, #isSimpleSetter, #asSetterSelector in the Collections package.
>
> Any other oppinions on that?

Virtually every classic description of the Smalltalk language in books
and classes I can remember talks about

   "three kinds of message names, unary, binary, and keyword..."

For example, here it is on the Complete Smalltalk Syntax on a Postcard:

     https://medium.com/@richardeng/syntax-on-a-post-card-cb6d85fabf88

So, I think those three belong in Collections.

"Setter" relates to making a setter method.  That's tooling.  So the
only reason I would have anything "setter" in Collections is if there
are enough senders from different depending packages that Collections
is the only common ancestor between them.

Best,
  Chris