[squeak-dev] Attempting to use git Browser to view https://github.com/LabWare/MQTT-broker

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue May 28 03:24:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 04:44:02PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> John sent me a proper fileout last week. Once I've had time to look it over I'll probably stick it on squeaksource.
>
> tim

Yes, please do that. Especially if the fileout has proper method commit
timestamps and author initials.

I am quite interested in getting myself up to speed on the various
git integration strategies, and I am currently working with (or more
accurately, accepting guidance from) Alistair Grant to publish OSProcess
in Tonel format for Pharo users. But I am baffled by the lack of method
stamps in Tonel (which should be trivially simple to support) and I
suspect to that "proper fileoout" will need to remain as the accepted
interchange format for quite some time to come.

Interestingly, Cuis uses git exclusively for version control, but its
storage format is nothing more than simple change sets and fileouts that
follow an agreed naming convention. And there are other storage formats
in circulation, so I don't really have any sense of what is the "right"
approach. But a storage format that nukes all of the method stamps
certainly would not be on my short list of right ways to do it.

It's all very confusing. I just googled "squot hpi squeak" and got a
"People also ask" pointer to "Why does my replacement hip squeak?"

;-)

Dave