[squeak-dev] Proposal: Morphs in Text

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue May 28 16:40:04 UTC 2019

Hi Patrick,

i did not have time to inquire about the .cs but I can partially answer

Le mar. 28 mai 2019 à 18:27, <patrick.rein at hpi.uni-potsdam.de> a écrit :

> Hi everyone,
>
> please find attached a change set which includes:
> 1.) Some fixes to the Scanner infrastructure to support Morphs in Text
> better
> 2.) Improvements to describe how a Morph should be aligned with regard to
> the text. Relevant methods on Morph are:
> #textAnchorVerticalAlignment:
> #textAnchorPadding:
> #textAnchorConsumesHorizontalSpace:
>
> You can see an example by executing the body of the test:
> TextAnchorTest>>#testHavingAnAnchorCanBeAlignedDifferently
>
> !Warning: As this touches Scanner code a lot, loading this change set
> might make your image unresponsive!
>
> I would like to point out that the test cases are preliminary and a few of
> the methods still require polishing. Nevertheless, I would like to ask for
> comments on the change set, in particular regarding:
> 1.) Should the alignment information be stored in the Morph or the
> TextAnchorAttribute? Currently the information is stored in the Morph which
> parallels LayoutProperties.

I think it should be in Morph, because Morph can have its own notion of
baseline etc... (imagine for example that I want to render a
FractionMathMorph 1/(1/x+1), then I want the main (upper) fraction bar to
be somehow aligned with the text baseline)
If Morph does not carry such information, then we can wrap in another Morph
that does (but I'm not sure that's how Morph works currently...)

> 2.) Is using caseOf: in Scanner code fine? I suspect it to be quite
> expensive which is probably not a good thing in Scanners?

unless you have thousands of Morphs, you won't be able to measure any
difference

3.) Should the cursor allow users to navigate (or select?) the "start of
> header" character that is used to denote the text anchor placement?

If Morph is aligned with text (renderd as if a single character), then i
would expect so (so as to be able to copy/paste for example)

4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended for?
> The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does so too.

I guess it could be like classical editors: Morph aligned with text (as a
single character) or super-imposed over text, or text wraps around the
morph, or ...