[squeak-dev] Proposal: Morphs in Text

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed May 29 07:16:41 UTC 2019

Thank you, Patrick, for your initiatives. TextMorph really needs some
attention.

On 28/05/19 9:48 PM, patrick.rein at hpi.uni-potsdam.de wrote:
> 1.) Should the alignment information be stored in the Morph or the
> TextAnchorAttribute? Currently the information is stored in the Morph
> which parallels LayoutProperties.

John Maloney's seminal paper on Morphic presented Morph as a graphical
unit for direct interaction (event handling) and liveness (stepping). It
was silent on modeling relations between morphs (with some exceptions).

Alignment and anchoring are properties of relationship between two
morphs rather than an intrinsic property of a Morph. I feel they should
be handled by subclasses (isA) or objects (hasA). Morph is already
pretty large for a basic unit.

> 4.) Does anyone remember / know what the textAnchorType was intended
> for? The previous implementation largely ignored it and this one does
> so too.
I think it was intended to stick a morph to a position within its
container (#document) or flow with other text morphs as paragraphs
(#paragraph) or character spans (#inline).

Regards .. Subbu