[squeak-dev] The Inbox: SUnit-cmm.116.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed May 29 16:34:06 UTC 2019

On Wed., May 29, 2019, 00:16 Marcel Taeumel, <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> if an unexpected pass would be treated as a failure, *you would encourage*
> tests like this:
>
> testSomething
>    self assert: 5 / 0.
>
> expectedFailures
>    ^ #(testSomething)
>
> A programmer's goal should always be to write passing tests. An expected
> failure should only be temporary. If that expected failure passes at some
> point without the programmer noticing and updating #expectedFailures,
> that's not a bad thing. It's progress. The programmer will update
> #expectedFailures eventually.
>
> The list of expected failures is just an add-on to your test suite to
> document not-yet-working stuff so that fellow programmers do not treat
> those failing tests as some new regression.
>
> If you treat expected failures as something more inherent in your test
> suite, you would encourage tests like the one sketched above. I wouldn't do
> that.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

But where is the incentive for a programmer to fix a test and remember to
update #expectedFailures?

On the other hand there might be tests that flake, but no one has gotten
around to deflaking it and we suppress the test with #expectedFailures, when
it passes 80% of the time we want to not fail builds 20% of the time. (Ok
really we do, but not many of us are paid to keep the build green.)

frank