[squeak-dev] CommandLineUIManager

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Tue Nov 5 12:10:00 UTC 2019

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:16 PM Thiede, Christoph <
Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Thank you for all the interesting links, most of all to the SqueakShell!
> It is really cool, but however, it actually does not solve my corner.
>

> @Fabio:
>

> > > As far as I found out, Squeak only has a CommandLineToolSet. Am I
> missing a class? Do you think this would be a useful extension?
> > Could you elaborate on your use case? Is this simply to be able to write
> interactive cmd scripts in Squeak?
>

> Exactly. If you run a simple script such as [HelpIcons squeakIcon
> writeOnFileNamed: 'testicon.png'] in headless mode and testicon.png already
> exists, the execution will be halted and the VM is waiting for a user
> interaction that will never happen. It would be much nicer to get a prompt
> via stdout + stdin to answer.

I agree. Maybe there could be two modes: `strict` and `interactive`. The
former quits the image with an error and the latter prompts for user input
via stdin as you suggest.

> And even if the VM is run in a read-only shell, you would at least know
> *why* it does not continue to execute. For example, this would be helpful
> on smalltalkCI - if you had not caught all ProvideAnswerNotifications in
> your tests, you would basically have no hint why you get a timeout.

I agree, it'd be great if smalltalkCI builds fail in case a
ProvideAnswerNotification is thrown. Contributions to smalltalkCI are
welcome. ;)

> I know Squeak is primarily made for use in a VM window, but nonetheless, I
> would love to have an implementation similar to this one for Pharo
> <https://github.com/StephanEggermont/pharo/blob/development/src/UIManager/CommandLineUIManager.class.st#L104>
> in Squeak.

Cool, didn't know something like this exists in Pharo.

Best,
Fabio