[squeak-dev] NetNameResolver gives spurious answers for images running 5.2 on x86 mac & 86 linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 28 23:24:48 UTC 2019

See if something like this might help:

	((NetNameResolver addressesForName: 'squeak.org')
		detect: [ :info | #inet4 = info addressFamilyName ])
			socketAddress hostNumber

Calling a resolver can be slow, so you'll want to remember the result,
and maybe put it in a #startUp: method.

We should revisit the networking stuff after the 5.3 release. Ian wrote
the primitive support ages ago, and at some point I mashed it into the
trunk. But there were concerns about performance of the resolver (at
least on Windows) so we ended up leaving "Enable IPv6 and new network
support" as a preference. Maybe it's time to turn the preference on,
work through the issues, and get rid of the old networking stuff.

Dave