[squeak-dev] 64 bit migration

Michael Rueger lists at andience.co.nz
Fri Oct 18 03:48:50 UTC 2019

On 18/10/19 1:10 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Extra hassles come from images where a great deal of setup was done and is not necessarily encoded in, err, code... and of course a lot of these older images are using older code for some important parts. Updating them can easily be a barrier too far.

that is the biggest problem, the old code these images are based on. Sophie even uses the Tweak fork Andreas Raab did
back then and would probably very tricky to port.

Longer term, yes, if you want something to be useful (again), it needs to be updated/ported.

It is just ironic that John and I demoed Sophie at Camp Smalltalk in Portland, proud that it still worked after 10 years
and then Apple pulls the rug from under you...

Thanks for all the input so far!

Michael