[squeak-dev] Don Goodman-Wilson’s moral critique of Open Source

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 16:25:32 UTC 2019

Not completely unrelated, Arte TV just broadcasted an excellent "Thema"
about work-salary-profit
https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/083305-001-A/work/
https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/RC-018077/travail-salaire-profit/
and 4 more languages...

It's not about open-source, but gives some historical perspectives on
retribution/organization of work in the past couple of centuries.
With these perspectives in mind, deconstructing and inventing new forms
sounds like a good idea ;).

Like Jecel said, I don't buy the will to control the usage for ethical
reasons.
What if a contributor of Squeak start to forbid usage to those supporting
abortion, another to those eating meat, and yet another to those taking
plane or working in transport industry, etc...
It's not like I'm against religion, veganism, ecology, whatever. I'm pretty
sure that the intentions are good.
But we want to be protected from such arbitrary restrictions, don't we?

It's also not my religion to restrict access to knowledge. Knowledge is
patrimony of mankind.
The sharing of knowledge and know how is an important property of open
source.

That does not necessarily imply free usage of ready-made artifacts,
including source code, documentation, ...
On the license side, everything is possible, like restricting free usage to
non profit activities.
But then the value for profit activities has to be negotiated.
And I don't believe that the market will ever turn at the advantage of the
producers (the contributors).
Historically, it's always been to the profit of distributors (of services
for the software), today more than ever.
So it must be by organizing services around the code, not by the code
itself IMO.
Maybe that's what you get in mind about a guild?

For avoiding gaming strategy if we ever start to retribute contributions,
every metric creates a bias, but it shall be possible to mitigate by
randomizing or caping the rewards... We're not yet there. Also interesting
is who controls? Elected, co-opted, votes based on contributions? Weight of
older contributions gradually fading away?

Nicolas