[squeak-dev] Don Goodman-Wilson’s moral critique of Open Source

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Fri Oct 25 21:26:36 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I like the idea of a metering system and that makes a lot more sense than
counting number of contributions or lines of code.  It gets difficult if a
company that wants to pay has difficulty figuring out how much it will cost
them.  I really like the concept of paying more for features used
because it highlights what contributions are important.  Maybe we could
consider having a set price for licenses but we use a feature metric that
determines who gets what share of that payment.  It would also help people
to understand what features are being used and where to focus efforts to
improve the system.  Bounties for developing new features would also be
interesting but it doesn't encourage collaboration and coordination.

If you have a metering system how do you then determine how people get
credit for the work they put into that system?  For example the VM seems
quite important! Who gets paid for that? Can we form teams and let the team
leader give out percentages?  What percentage does the VM get of an overall
license?  How do you choose where one feature ends and another begins?
There are also tools in the image that are not part of the running system.
They are just as important for design and productivity so they should count.

We need to also think about the impact of changing licenses.  For
businesses that want to use the software will they accept different license
terms?  We had a number of people that worked really hard to move us to
MIT!  We did that in an effort to get more adoption and hopefully build a
larger audience and get more contributors.  What impact would we see if we
changed the license to something else? How does the RedHat model fit in
here?  If we did something new, are we interested in relicensing to make
sure people get paid or do we just want to take the open source code and
repackage it, add support, security, additional features and professional
services and call it something else?

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum