[squeak-dev] [Q] About VM and image formats

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:36:46 UTC 2019

Hi Edgar

On 9/7/19, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks:
> Forgive me if this question was answered before.
> How I open a 32.bit Squeak.image with a 64.bit VM ?

I understand that it is possible to open 32bit legacy image segments
(pr files http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/885,) in a 64bit image / VM
combination.

See project loading tests for Squeak 5.2 here
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1183

I do not know or I forgot  if it is possible to open a 32bit image
with a 64 bit VM and thus convert the 32 bit image to 64 bit.

May I ask you to do such a test and report the result to the list.

In case this does not work it might be possible to implement such a
feature for the Squeak 5.3 release (maybe with a helper image which
does the 32bit-->64bit conversion)

> How I open a 64.bit Squeak.image with a 32.bit VM ?

I think that is not possible and I guess there will be no
implementation capacity to support this.
But it would be nice to have.

See package
	category: 'System-Object Storage'

Regards