[squeak-dev] cannot read file format 6521

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:03:18 UTC 2020

Hi Stes,
ImageFormat is Pharo-specific.
Pharo is a fork of Squeak.
It shares a part of class library but slowly diverge.
It also shares the VM, but even that part was recently forked (summer 2019).

Smalltalk class -> SmalltalkImage

It is a reflection of the "system", and as such a sort of big can of
utilities.
Pharo is somehow "butchering the mammoth" by splitting the large utility
into smaller utility classes...
But if you don't flesh out the objects with own behavior, this is not
necessarily considered useful.
You end up with more vocabulary to learn (ImageFormat, OS... etc...).