[squeak-dev] Porting my programs from Squeak 3.10.2 to 3.5

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 18:54:06 UTC 2020

Hi Trigve,

> On Apr 4, 2020, at 9:21 AM, Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
> I have been programming in Squeak3.10.2 for 10 years. Squeak 3.5 is a great improvement from the old 3.10.2 and it is time to update all my programs. There is a new VM that is different from the old. I'm used to letting the file extension identify the appropriate program for handling a file so I want to use a new file extension, .image3, for the Squeak Cog Spur Virtual Machine.

since we use V3 to refer to the pre-SistaV1 bytecode set and the pre-Spur image format, using image3 to refer to Spur images would be very confusing.

It is very easy to extract the image version number from the file, so first decide whether you need a new file extension or whether you can keep a single extension and extract version info from image files.