[squeak-dev] Compiling the Squeak Stack vm in FreeBSD

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Apr 8 08:55:09 UTC 2020

Hi Subbu
> On 08.04.2020, at 10:19, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/04/20 3:13 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> I have looked at the stackvm issue.
>> On FreeBSD 11/clang 6, this does not occur. What clang version do you have?
>> Also, I don't think we need to bother with alsa too much.
>> OSS should work, the rest_is_  work:)
>
> Tobias,
>
> Please make pulse the default audio server. It has wrappers (padsp) to handle legacy apps using for ALSA/OSS.
>
> David Stes confirmed earlier that pulse audio works fine on his Solaris port and provided the patches. Squeak VM does not work out of the box on my Ubuntu 16.04 (64b). I have to patch squeak.sh to use -vm-audio-pulse to get sound to work.

This is a distinct thing.
My comments are about compilation problems of Alsa on FreeBSD.
I see that pulse is available in FreeBSD ports, but with a lot of dependencies, and
I do not think that at the moment it is a good idea to mingle with that.

For OpenBSD we have sndio, and if that also works for FreeBSD, at the moment I would go for that.

Apart from that, sure, Pulse seems a good option…

Best regards
	-Tobias