[squeak-dev] My social distancing project - MCConfiguration maps with versioning, comments, and author timestamps.

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Apr 14 23:37:03 UTC 2020

An MC update stream, such as the Squeak trunk update stream, relies
on a sequence of update maps stored in a repository. The update maps
(MCM files) do not retain information about their authors or the time
and reason for committing the maps, and they do not retain change
information if an existing update map is modified, as occasionally
may be required to correct a problem in the update stream.

I have found a way to extend the MCM configurations such that they
can be stored in a format that saves the additional version information,
and that is still readable by any earlier Squeak image. Updated images
can read and understand the version information, and will store new MCM
updates with comments, author initials, time stamps, and version history.

I have a working version of this in my own image. It seems to work quite
well, although I think I need to spend some more time using it before
suggesting it for general use. If there is in interest, I can put a copy
in the inbox.

Dave