[squeak-dev] TrueTypeFont and Unicode Characters

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 02:21:51 UTC 2020

Hello,

I am trying to load a particular TrueTypeFont that represents the Cuneiform
signs in the Cuneiform Unicode block.
You can find some information on this page
<https://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/cuneifont/>.

Specifically, I'm attempting to work with the Neo-Assyrian font on that
page ('Assurbanipal.ttf' in the zip file). I have also tried the Old
Babylonian fonts with similar results.

I have "imported" this font using the FileList tool and it does appear as a
TextStyle. However, if I attempt to run:

```
m := TextMorph new
beAllFont: ((TextStyle named: 'Assurbanipal') fontOfSize: 36);
backgroundColor: Color white.

signString := (Unicode value: 16r12038) asString.
m contents: signString.

m openInHand.
```

I get a TextMorph that appears blank. Either I am doing something
incorrectly or the system cannot render the glyph at that code point (which
should be the sign "AĆ "). Any ideas?
--
Eric