[squeak-dev] TrueTypeFont and Unicode Characters

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Apr 30 07:43:12 UTC 2020

Hi Eric!

> I have "imported" this font using the FileList tool and it does appear as a TextStyle

Please use the Font Importer to import such fonts. You can find it in the Tools menu.

Best,
Marcel
Am 30.04.2020 04:22:12 schrieb Eric Gade <eric.gade at gmail.com>:
Hello,

I am trying to load a particular TrueTypeFont that represents the Cuneiform signs in the Cuneiform Unicode block.
You can find some information on this page [https://www.hethport.uni-wuerzburg.de/cuneifont/].

Specifically, I'm attempting to work with the Neo-Assyrian font on that page ('Assurbanipal.ttf' in the zip file). I have also tried the Old Babylonian fonts with similar results.

I have "imported" this font using the FileList tool and it does appear as a TextStyle. However, if I attempt to run:

```
m := TextMorph new
beAllFont: ((TextStyle named: 'Assurbanipal') fontOfSize: 36);
backgroundColor: Color white.

signString := (Unicode value: 16r12038) asString.
m contents: signString.

m openInHand.
```

I get a TextMorph that appears blank. Either I am doing something incorrectly or the system cannot render the glyph at that code point (which should be the sign "AŠ"). Any ideas?
--

Eric