[squeak-dev] Installer metacello

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 08:52:17 UTC 2020

> On 30.04.2020, at 10:18, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> > ... having multiple, platformspecific ways really is against that spirit.
>
> So, in the long term, you want to get rid of Installer?

Installer and Metacello should not mix.
ATM I don't think Installer should go away. But it is actually too vague to be used beyond a makeshift Monticello API in everyday use (I know of #merge:; I personally do not like it).

> Well, either that or fill it up to the current state of things. I did not argue that those Installer calls should be used in a cross-dialect setting.

True. But Metacello is. Saying "Everywhere, you typically use 'Metacello new'. Oh, but in Squeak, people use 'Installer metacello' with a different API" is IMHO the wrong direction.

> But it would help building things such as the PreferenceWizard.

Software configuration management does not really sound like a place for a Preferences Wizard ;)

I think we should learn from Cuis hereā€¦

Best regards
	-Tobias