[squeak-dev] Hubs delenda est and ESR's Cathedrak vs Bazzarr was: Re: Squeak6.0 alpha, install, add additional stuff--Metacello, Git, OSProcess, Grift, Malfeascance, etc fails due to smaltalkhub be bye-bye

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Tue Aug 4 23:14:28 UTC 2020

the immediate problem I have should be fixed when Europa returns from vacation and restarts the smalltalkhub server, according to Estaban on the pharo discord.

What are the meta problems here? Hubs.

Github, smalltalkhub, squeaksource

A radicall solution based on that music sharing app bittorrent may be the way to go.

It is ESR's Cathedral vs Bazzar problem.

I need Squeak with XTreams , Seaside and PG3 for my work , all awesonme software packages,  but the platforms are diverging where maintaining the trinity in my preferred platform is hard work.

I would much prefer to torrent a working image than spend time reverse engineering a mundane problem.

Torrents.smalltalk.org , or, really cool, peer to peer ala croquet.

Cheers

tty

---- On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 13:57:48 -0400 Tom.Beckmann at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de wrote ----

Hey everyone,

I just described our suggestion to approach a new bootstrapping process on Metacello's Github: https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/issues/524

We would appreciate it, if you could have a read through and see if you can identify potential problems or better ways to approach this, in particular also for the "Further Steps" part.

Best,
Tom