[squeak-dev] Hubs delenda est and ESR's Cathedrak vs Bazzarr was: Re: Squeak6.0 alpha, install, add additional stuff--Metacello, Git, OSProcess, Grift, Malfeascance, etc fails due to smaltalkhub be bye-bye

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Wed Aug 5 06:49:01 UTC 2020

Hi Timothy,

I'm not sure whether I understand your fundamental problem right. Is
it that each package is hosted and maintained in only one central
location? Or is it too burdensome to remember or somehow deal with the
multiple locations where they are stored?

For the git-based packages, they can be easily mirrored to any other
Git server, even a private one. Then next to GitHub, the packages
could be on Bitbucket, Gitlab, and whatever. It would also be possible
to set up a read-only Git server on squeak.org and mirror some
important packages there. If there were more Monticello server
providers out there, one could also mirror versions among these. With
Personal Squeaksource you could run your own. Or maybe even the
package-cache is enough. Or mirror them as Git repositories
(converters exist nowadays). Note that Git can also be used for ad-hoc
user to user sharing: https://git-scm.com/docs/git-daemon But it is
mostly impractical if you are not on the same LAN as the one peer you
are trying to synchronize with. (How to know the other person's Git
address?)

Now in reference to your Bittorrent analogy, you would still need a
single address (a seed) to identify what you want to get. It would be
used to derive a list of the mirrors/providers, which the client could
contact. If one of them is down, another could be tried. Is that what
you had in mind?

For true peer-to-peer as in sharing without download hubs, I am afraid
the Smalltalk community might be too small and the interests of their
members too spread out to work reliably (i. e. too few people would
offer a particular version of a package to the network). For popular
things like Metacello, it might work, but the absolute number of
people is still not great (though I'd like to be proven otherwise).

If it was about the cognitive overhead of dealing with diverse
locations, just put up the install scripts on SqueakMap if they are
not already there. The scripts could also have a list of mirrors to
contact if the prime location is down. Or put appropriate Metacello
configurations/baselines in some central place such as
http://squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/, your own GitHub
repository, or, again, SqueakMap.

Kind regards,
Jakob