[squeak-dev] base64 encoding and CRs

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Aug 22 04:35:42 UTC 2020

> On 2020-08-21, at 6:30 PM, Phil B <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Tim,
>
> Correct, base64 encoding only emits a subset of printable characters (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64#Base64_table)  At your option, you can also insert CR's into a base64 string which should be ignored on decoding. (as was common for various email clients to do back in the day)
>
> Phil

> On 2020-08-21, at 6:29 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> our encoder might not be producing cr's, but base64 payloads in the wild often have lines no longer than 80 characters, so before decoding it makes sense to remove that.
>
> Vanessa

Hunh. Fascinating. So maybe there is a tiny bit of sense to the code I was peering tiredly at. Though given it was creating the base64 string right there, probably not in this case. I do love how the software word is so full of kludge upon jury-rig upon WAG!

Thanks for the enlightenment.

tim
Strange OpCodes: UDF: Use Disk for Frisbee