[squeak-dev] Git and Tonel (and Magritte)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:20:11 UTC 2020

> On Aug 24, 2020, at 11:17 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>> On 25.08.2020, at 08:15, Beckmann, Tom <Tom.Beckmann at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> we added initial support for Tonel in Squeak in this somewhat recent Metacello PR: https://github.com/Metacello/metacello/pull/515
>>
>> It has not undergone as much testing as the filetree infrastructure and people occasionally still find bugs. Additionally, since we do not have a tight integration with the underlying git repo, versions and author timestamps are lost when loading Tonel repos in Squeak at the moment.
>>
>> My personal opinion is that if you have showstopping issues on Windows due to filetree, moving to Tonel is the right call. Maybe you could consider doing the transition on a branch first, try loading it in Squeak5.3, and report any issues you notice.
>>

> It would make me sad to see it go Tonel.
> but that's just me :)

If we go with Tonel then we must change it to support method timestamps.  I have a change set that does this (it is a trivial change).  And my changes are controlled by a class variable so that the same code can produce Pharo format or a slightly modified format that includes method timestamps.

What I don’t understand is why Esteban Lorenzano refuses to accept my changes and allow Tonel to be used either with or without method timestamps.