[squeak-dev] [lewis at mail.msen.com: [Pharo-dev] OSProcess and CommandShell updated on GitHub for Pharo]

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Aug 30 19:07:46 UTC 2020

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon doing an export of the latest
OSProcess/CommandShell packages to a couple of GitHub repositories for
benefit of Pharo users.

The updates have been available for Squeak for some time, since I do all
development in Squeak and use SqueakSource as the upstream repository.
But I'm not sure that I ever bothered mentioning it on the list here.

So in case it may be of interest, here is a recently added feature that
may be of some general usefulness:

   OSProcess outputOf: 'ls -lR | wc -l'

This is a convenience method that handles parsing, piping, and error handling
for a unix-style command pipeline. Both OSProcess and CommandShell must be
loaded. Any errors detected in the external commands will be displayed in a
Squeak debugger. If that happens, proceed through the debugger to obtain the
final stdout result.

OSProcess/CommandShell can be loaded with the SqueakMap package loader, or:

	Installer ss project: 'OSProcess'; install: 'OSProcess'.
	Installer ss project: 'CommandShell'; install: 'CommandShell'.

Dave

----- Forwarded message from "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> -----

These updates bring OSProcess/CommandShell up to date with the latest
development versions, and include earlier fixes for Pharo by Max Leske.

The repositories are at
   https://github.com/dtlewis290/OSProcess-Tonel
   https://github.com/dtlewis290/CommandShell-Tonel

A new feature of possible interest is:
   OSProcess outputOf: 'ls -lR | wc -l'

This is a convenience method that handles parsing, piping, and error handling
for a unix-style command pipeline. Both OSProcess and CommandShell must be
loaded. Any errors detected in the external commands will be displayed in a
Pharo debugger, proceed through the debugger to obtain the final stdout result.

Dave

----- End forwarded message -----