[squeak-dev] [ANN] DoItFirst command line goodie on SqueakSource

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Dec 6 18:27:05 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 12:52:39PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 09:33:26AM +0100, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
>
> > - I don't know how yet, but it'd be cool to be able to cut off the rest of
> > the startUp list with this utility, or exclude certain classes from the
> > startUp list. In TruffleSqueak, for example, we jump through some hoops to
> > set up an image for headless execution [1] and it'd be nice if we could
> > simplify that with your utility.
> >

> That might be a tricky problem, but I'm sure it can be done. In principle
> we could manipulate the startup from one of the existing argument hooks,
> but at that point we are already iterating over the startup list so
> it is presumably not good to manipulate the list at that time. One
> possible solution that comes to mind is to move DoItFirst out of the
> startup list, and just explictly call it right before processing the
> list.

Actually I may have spoken too soon, because the existing --doit option
seems to be able to manipulate the startup list directly with no
problem at all. For example, I ran this command line:

$ run squeak.image -- --doit 'Smalltalk removeFromStartUpList: PowerManagement' 'Smalltalk removeFromStartUpList: ExtendedClipboardInterface' &

This removed PowerManagement and ExtendedClipboardInterface from the
startup list, and the remaining elements of the list were processed
without problems.

So as far as I can tell, you will be able to customize the startup
list in any way necessary just by adding some --doit snippets on
the command line.

Dave