[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-dtl.1363.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Dec 9 10:21:15 UTC 2020

Hi David.

Thanks for working on this! :-)

That special case in "Delay" reminds me of the suggestion to just put "DoItFirst" at a more sensible place in the start-up list. But then it would not be "do it first" anymore. :-D Same for FileDirectory.

What about a little bit more "double dispatch"?

(Smalltalk classNamed: #DoItFirst) ifNotNil: [ :doit | doit startUpFromDelay ].

(Smalltalk classNamed: #DoItFirst) ifNotNil: [ :doit | doit startUpFromFileDirectory ].

Best,
Marcel
Am 09.12.2020 06:39:15 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
Hi David,

> On Dec 8, 2020, at 1:13 PM, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:
>
> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-dtl.1363.mcz

> Name: Kernel-dtl.1363
> Author: dtl
> Time: 8 December 2020, 4:13:03.533263 pm
> UUID: dc65867e-37e6-4295-aa44-ef26c62ba250
> Ancestors: Kernel-eem.1362
>
> Let Delay class>>startup invoke DoItFirst class>>reevaluateDebug. If a DoItFirst command line option has requested a debugger, then invoke it now after Delay startUp processing..
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-eem.1362 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
> ----- Method: Delay class>>startUp (in category 'snapshotting') -----
> startUp
> "Restart active delay, if any, when resuming a snapshot."
>
> DelaySuspended ifFalse:[^self error: 'Trying to activate Delay twice'].
> DelaySuspended := false.
> self restoreResumptionTimes.
> AccessProtect signal.
> + (Smalltalk classNamed: #DoItFirst) ifNotNil: [ :doit | doit perform: #reevaluateDebug].
> +
> +
> !

I don’t understand why this is necessary/what this code does. A comment in the startUp method would go a long way. Also do we really need two lines of white space tacked onto the end of the method?