[squeak-dev] DoIfFirst command option processing documentation (was: [ANN] DoItFirst command line goodie on SqueakSource)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 12 18:22:45 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 11:23:37AM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Dave.
>
> Thanks! Would you mind adding a page on wiki.squeak.org? :-)

I made a new swiki page for "DoItFirst command option processing":

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6655

I have tried to describe the full process starting with VM command
line processing, then later explaining how DoItFirst participates in
the process, as well as and how and when it parses and evaluates the
command line options that it recognizes.

This has always been a somewhat confusing topic and I am sure that I
will have made some errors and omissions, but hopefully this helps to
tie the pieces together.

Note that I am writing from the perspective of a VM invoked from unix
command line, so some details will be different for other platforms.
But the explanations of option processing in the image are applicable
for any platform or VM.

Dave