[squeak-dev] for the morphic team...is a "caps locks is on" indicator doable?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Dec 13 13:40:19 UTC 2020

I second Eliot's proposal.

I rarely look at the keyboard and never notice the caps light until I have muttered a few obsceneties trying to ctrl-foo or alt-foo to no avail.

---- On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:30:35 -0500 eliot.miranda at gmail.com wrote ----

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 2:34 AM marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:

Hi there.

This should work:

| capsLockFilter |
capsLockFilter := PluggableEventFilter on: [:keyboardEvent |
        (keyboardEvent isKeystroke
                and: [keyboardEvent keyCharacter isUppercase
                and: [keyboardEvent shiftPressed not]])
                        ifTrue: [self inform: 'CAPS LOCK ON'].
        keyboardEvent].
self currentHand addKeyboardCaptureFilter: capsLockFilter.

Be sure to find a safe place for that capsLockFilter so that it won't be
garbage collected. :-) Maybe that "inform:" is too noisy for you. I don't
know.

Would it not be possible to add something next to the time & full screen button in the menu bar top right?
Or maybe embolden the Squeak icon in the top left when shift is down?

Some keyboards have a nice light when shift lock is on (Mac).  I find it very annoying to use keyboards that don't indicate shift lock.  But I don't suffer badly enough to have Timothy's issue.

Best,
Marcel

Squeak - Dev mailing list wrote
> Hi folks.
>

> Ignore as appropriate.
>

> Fat-finger me hits caps-lock by accident quite a bit and copy-n-paste does
> not work in morphic when that happens.
>

> A not-so-subtle indicator that "caps lock is on" would be helpful.
>

> cheers and thanks.

best, Eliot