[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-dtl.1363.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Dec 14 10:33:37 UTC 2020

Hi Dave.

Maybe this change set helps. :-) Well ... that "--debug" still seems fishy. You must go past "Project" to show any interactive debugger. Why would "Delay" be enough? Hmmm... Still playing around with it. :-)

This does not work:

./Squeak.exe Squeak-Trunk-32bit.image --evaluate 3+4

Best,
Marcel
Am 11.12.2020 23:16:54 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
Hi Marcel,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 08:07:48AM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Dave.
>
> >??The tricky part is still there - how do you arrange for the option
> > blocks to be evaluated at the earliest possible time, but no sooner?
>
> Oh, the semantics would stay as you proposed. But for the future, there would we a direct reference from DoItFirst to the "helper classes". At the moment, you leak the implementation details #reevaluateDebug and #reevaluateCwd outside DoItFirst. With just this little indirection, that leak would disappear:
>
> DoItFirst class >> startUpFromDelay
>
> ?? ??self reevaluateDebug.
>
> DoItFirst class >> startUpFromFileDirectory
>
> ?? ??self reevaluateCwd.

I think I am misunderstanding this, but as you earlier suggested I should
write something for the wiki to explain how it works (or should work).

Dave