[squeak-dev] Sound mixing makes nasty noises

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 13:54:50 UTC 2020

On 25/12/20 6:49 pm, Herbert König wrote:
> It would be cool if someone can implement Your suggestion on how to
> write Squeak's audio output buffers to a file because then I could
> discern if the whole mess gets created by Squeak or if the OS plays a
> role too.

You may use parec (sound capture to file) and paplay (file to sound
output) to test the audio subsystem of the OS to rule out any audio
driver or mixer configuration problems [1]. The corresponding ALSA
utilities are arecord and aplay. The mixer is alsamixer.

padsp acts as a relay between the older /dev/dsp (audio device under
OSS) and the newer /dev/snd/* (audio i/o devices).

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/testing/pulseaudio-utils/pacat.1.en.html

HTH .. Subbu