[squeak-dev] Sound mixing makes nasty noises

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 29 19:49:16 UTC 2020

> On 2020-12-29, at 11:03 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Herbert, Hi Tim,
>
>     I suspect I've made a mistake somewhere.

Well, I guess that happens occasionally - but I should note that my experiments are using a 5.3 release image (though I have tried the fairly up to date 6alpha stream as well). and so don't have your change involved.

Herbert - the  prim to play the sound simply passes pointers around and I can't find any place where values might get changed. Given that both ALSA and pulseaudio allow setting of the sample format in order to handle 8, 16, 32 bt, integer and float, compressed, spindled, folded and mutilated, it is certainly possible there is an issue, though finding it will be 'fun'.

One thing I should do is dig out another Pi and set it up with a clean 'last before pulse' copy of the OS and make sure we know what happens in that case.

So many things to break, so little time...

tim
The world is not magic