[squeak-dev] Image damaged due to IO error while saving

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Feb 2 02:27:15 UTC 2020

> On 2020-02-01, at 11:48 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> That's a good idea, and on a unix platform we can use statvfs()
> to check space availability without adding any disc traffic.

The way we used to do this on RISC OS was (is, for the remaining users!) to allocate a file of the required size and it would be filled with 0. That way if you got a success return code you knew for certain (barring fire, flood, bomb or bear attack) that the file could be over-written with your real content. Do any other filing systems actually really definitely allocate space when you ask for it? No idea.

tim
Strange OpCodes: FR: Flip Record