[squeak-dev] Letting the VM run multiple image formats

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:32:18 UTC 2020

On 10/02/20 10:09 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> The default prefix path should be changed to something like
>> $HOME/.squeak or $HOME/.config/squeak so that default installations
>> will not require root permission.
> +1000. But this is not really the prefix path, but the default
> installation.  Can’t we easily compute the correct prefix path in
> the squeak launch script based on its path (i.e. from a combination
> of $0 and $PATH ?).

The prefix path gets recorded in the build directory Makefile, so the
install step in http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6177

   $ make install

will fail because it requires a sudo. My proposal is to change the
default so that install will proceed smoothly for non-root users.
Package maintainers for distros can override this prefix in the
configure step.

Once installed, the squeakvm does compute the correct path for plugins
etc. from its installed location.

Regards .. Subbu