[squeak-dev] [Vm-dev] Condensing sources for a new release

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Feb 11 17:47:57 UTC 2020

> On 2020-02-11, at 9:12 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Squeak cannot write to the changes file named /private/var/folders/1m/5bw4gx414j95y7gmn19bcrvc0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/AF936F9C-D399-44BA-A75D-2B6B530BE339/d/Squeak5.3beta-19337-64bit-All-in-One.app/Contents/Resources/Squeak5.3beta-19337-6
>
> Please check you have write permission for this file.

It's been my belief for a long while that what we should be doing in the all-in-one and other packages is to copy the default image/changes out of the package bundle to the enclosing directory (on the grounds that it's pretty close to certain to be a user's directory to do what they want with) and then run those copies. The supplied default image/changes should never be over written.

 This is in line with a fairly common trope of starting any sort of editor program and getting a suitable 'blank' file. Obviously firing up a particular image via UI clicks etc would simply start the right image.

tim
Oxymorons: Exact estimate