[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-ct.1297.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 15 00:59:51 UTC 2020

Hi Christoph,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 02:40:05PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> @David:
>

> > Item was removed:
>
> > - ----- Method: ObjectTracer class>>initialize (in category 'initialize-release') -----
>
> > - initialize
> > -        "Fix for inconsistent image state in which ObjectTracer improperly appears as a subclass
> > -        of Class. This initialization should appear in the Squeak update stream in order to repair
> > -        existing images, and may be removed in a future update."
> > -
> > -        Class removeSubclass: ObjectTracer class!
>

> Is this ok?

Thanks for checking. Yes, removing this #initialize method is ok.

> Can you tell me why you did not use a postscript for that? :-)

There are only two possible explanations:

  1) Stupidity
  2) Ignorance

I don't recall which of the two it was it in particular case, but either
way you are right in suggesting that I should have used a postscript :-)

Looking back through the commit history, it was introduced here:

  Name: Kernel-dtl.856