[squeak-dev] Content licenses (was: The Inbox: Tools-ct.940.mcz)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sat Feb 15 16:36:45 UTC 2020

Am Sa., 15. Feb. 2020 um 16:40 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:

> Hm, probably the simplest solution would be a short disclaimer in the PreferenceWizardMorph ("By using this image, I confirm that I have accepted the Squeak contributing license agreement and that I will ensure that everyone to whom I share it did so too")?

Hmm, but you can develop commercial software in Squeak after all. And
you can produce code and publish it under a different license (under
GPL for example). It is not so much about using an image as about
submitting specifically to the Squeak Inbox, Trunk, or a maintained
release.

> No one dislikes Smalltalk :-)

...except for the managers looking at legacy maintenance or license
cost, or the risk of not finding enough affordable staff. Or
unfamiliar developers forced to maintain a legacy product with an
archaic Smalltalk version.