[squeak-dev] VM rendering on Windows looks weird after saving the image

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 03:06:36 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:27 AM Thiede, Christoph <
Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> some of my images take a very long time to save, despite SSD, often more
> than 10 seconds. Image file is 700M and changes file 90M. During saving the
> image, the VM does not react so Windows is diagnosing Squeak might have
> hung up. It would be nice to show some kind of (VM-side?) progress bar
> instead ...
>

> However, the actual problem is how my host window looks after the saving
> is complete and the VM comes alive again:
>

> I can see this quite often after saving large image files. This state
> remains for around one second, then I can proceed using the image as usual.

The image is garbage collected and compacted on snapshot, so the display
may indeed move. However, post garbage collect the location of the display
is updated, as after a normal full garbage collection.  Do you see such
distortion on other garbage collections?  Can you please check in the VM
Stats how long the compaction phase of the snapshot GC takes?  If that is
as long as you see the distortion then the solution would be to defer
display updates around at least the compaction phase.

> Best,
>
> Christoph

best, Eliot