[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 5.3 RC3

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 28 16:49:31 UTC 2020

Hi Marcel, thanks for all the work! Some other notes ...

This looks a bit chaotic in a fresh 5.3rc3 image:

[cid:1eaa1055-5694-4238-a2f2-e2fb0b27bcea]

Regarding to the MVC project:

  *   After entering the parent MVC project, nothing happens when I attempt to close the host window (on Windows).
  *   Evaluating "self primitiveError: #foo" in the Morphic project makes the MVC project pop up, but no debugger window is shown. However, it may "pop up a few minutes later after various interactions with the MVC project", hm...
  *   In MVC, categories cannot be toggled in the System Reporter.
  *   In the MVC menu, help > Standard Graphics Library raises an error because GraphicalDictionaryMenu class >> #openOn:withLabel: depends on HandMorph.
  *   In MVC, the HelpBrowser does not work.
  *   And there are still frequent drawing errors:
[cid:1e2b6b4e-6019-415f-bd04-442f1754d8dc]

But I guess most of these issues are neither crucial nor regressions, so I do agree with Eliot: Don't let perfect be the enemy of good :-)

Btw, the bug in process-faithful debugging (I mentioned it several times on the list) IMHO appears to be a greater problem, although we couldn't integrate a fix into this release. Should we mention this in the release notes under the "known issues"?

Best,
Christoph