[squeak-dev] Separation of domain from UI in Squeak (was: 5.3 cannot rename subclasses of Error)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 29 02:23:44 UTC 2020

> On 2020-02-28, at 1:11 PM, Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> Unless there is a good reason why handling ProvideAnswerNotification
> is not a good idea in scripted environments, I agree with Chris. I
> would prefer using the existing mechanism to introducing a strange
> synonym for Notification.

Of course, one could provide a script handling method (I'd swear Chris mentioned one he use a while back but I can't think of it right now... oh wait, "Smalltalk run:[]" ) that catches the ProvideAnswerNotification and converts it to an other-way-round exception. An obvious problem with the current implementation is that it carries very little helpful information (notwithstanding Marcel's BlockClosure>>#valueSupplyingAnswers: try-to-do-it-all method) for the handler to decode. We seem to need to know an awful lot about what is going on in called code.

It might be neat if we could find a way to handle the exception within a terminal environment; maybe with 'curses' (that's probably dating me horribly) or zenity or whatever. Possibly helpful for nominally headless setups?

tim
Hackers have kernel knowledge.