[squeak-dev] The Inbox: EToys-kfr.374.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Jan 2 21:26:57 UTC 2020

> On 2020-01-02, at 12:32 PM, Thiede, Christoph <Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
> It's time to finally integrate a spellcheck implementation into Trunk ... :-)

John McIntosh & I did that 15 years ago as part of the Sophie project. Well, we made connections to host spelling check systems, not implemented on in Smalltalk.

On a Mac it worked really well since the OS has a pretty good spelling checker provided by default. On Windows (as of 2004 or so) you had to handle *not* having a spell check installed - it came as part of Office. Which, yes, a lot of people had but not all. On *nix... I don't remember.

Generically I think it would be great. Implementing a good one in Smalltalk... would be a fascinating student thesis project and I encourage someone to do it.

tim
Useful random insult:- A gross ignoramus -- 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.