[squeak-dev] History Questions from Dan Ingalls

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 03:29:23 UTC 2020

> On Jan 5, 2020, at 9:45 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>
> Who wrote the first Squeak web server?
> I know there was a period when many of the Squeak downloads were simply to use the web server.
>
> Who wrote the first wiki tin Squeak?
> This, too, was a popular reason for downloads.

I think the two questions my have the same answer. Beyond something simple like ServerDirectory for an FTP server (which I think Carnegie Mellon used) then I think the answer is the Pluggable Web Server (PWS). It was before Comanche. I think this goes back as far as Squeak 1.23.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/153 <http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/153>
https://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/mark.guzdial/squeak/pws/ <https://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/mark.guzdial/squeak/pws/>

It is discussed in chapter 7, section 4.3 of Guzdial’s book starting at “Web Serving with PWS”:
http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/GuzdialBookDrafts/Multimedia-ch7.pdf <http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/GuzdialBookDrafts/Multimedia-ch7.pdf>

And here it is:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/mark.guzdial/squeak/PluggableWebServer.st

Specifically you asked who. The initials in the code are 'mjg 11/10/97 10:44’.
I’d be confident in saying that was Mark Guzdial of Georgia Tech.

And here he is:
https://www.news.gatech.edu/expert/mark-guzdial

FWIW,
Chris