[squeak-dev] History Questions from Dan Ingalls

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 21:34:51 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 6:45 PM Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> (please keep Dan in cc when replying)

This confirm's Chris' account:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_wikis

> Are there examples, old or current, of bundling the VM with the image to
> make a complete “Squeak app”?  I think I actually worked on one of these
> but I can’t remember?

I did a "single executable" in 2007/2008 (can't remember exact date) for
Newspeak (which was hosted in Squeak above a modified Squeak VM) for
Cadence.  We also encrypted the image so it couldn't easily be copied.  The
image was stored in a large byte array compiled into the VM.

Qwaq/Teleplace/Terf was/is packaged as a complete app for MacOS, Windows
and Unix starting in the early '00's (before I got there in '08).  The Unix
packaging work was in late '09 IIRC.

Ted told me that someone on the Squeak list wrote about ST-80 (Squeak?)
> being its
> own support center at 2 am.  Praise for having everything accessible!  He
> searched his notes for this great email. but did not find it.  Anyone
> remember this email and can send it along?
>
> Thanks and happy New Year
>
>   - Dan
> --
> --