[squeak-dev] new VM directory structure for 5.3

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 10:04:02 UTC 2020

On 12/01/20 8:54 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Whilst looking at usage of #vmPath it seems we have a potential clash between methods like FileDirectory class>>#openSources:forImage: and SmalltalkImage>>#locateSourcesEntry
> Now that lot is just plain nuts.

There is too much coupling between Squeak and its host in the
FileDirectory classes. Squeak (vm+image) is a full-fledged virtual
machine and should be sandboxed from its underlying host.

Each plugin punches a hole through this barrier. As long as the plugin
is a consumer of host services (e.g. fonts) it is fine, but if it
involves writes/updates (like in FileDirectory) sandboxing needs to be
enforced. For a multi-platform machine like Squeak, leaking
host-specific details like pathnames or keyboard codes into the image
should be a big no no.

Earlier, I had proposed that we use symbolic tokens between Squeak and
its plugins so that host-specific details don't leak into Squeak. We
could use bookmarks like #vm #sources #image or #prefs etc and let the
FileDirectory plugin map it to the exact paths.

Regards .. Subbu