[squeak-dev] [Newbies] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Thu Jan 16 16:29:37 UTC 2020

Mechanic,

I'm not sure where you got the squeakbyexample.org url but the website
seems to point to here: https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00441576/document from
here https://squeak.org/documentation/

Having the documentation be outdated and not working with the current
version is a problem for software all around the world. Even more so for an
open source community.  I completely agree with you that beginner samples
need to be maintained so that they stay relevant to new versions of the
software.  Unfortunately, that is a very difficult thing to do.  It would
be nice to have a seperate version specific documentation section on the
website and a team of people who would move the documentation forward on
each new release. What we need to make that happen is the web team to
provide that framework for the documentation and a documentation team to
volunteer to do the work and write or modify the docs.

Tty's method http://www.squeaksource.com/SeasideDoc.html is nice because it
is documentation that goes with the program and it's versioned but it would
be better to have something that is accessible and filterable by version on
the squeak.org website.

We just may not have the resources we need to make that happen. By the way
have you looked at the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak and
https://squeak.org/documentation/ pages?  There is a lot of really good
documentation out there but it does take some digging and you probably will
run into issues related to different versions.  Much of it should still be
relevant.  If you run into issues we are here to help!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum